Sunday, August 8, 2010

Friends, Zucchini Pie and another Card

We were invited over to dinner yesterday by some friends that are in our Ward.  We had this amazing pasta salad.  I have asked for the recipe only to find out the seasoning she uses has been discontinued.  BOO!!!   So...if you see any Mccormick vegetable supreme in the store - buy it and I will reimburse you.  Anyway - I asked her for the recipe in hopes of recreating the amazing flavor.  They served us, along with the pasta salad, corn on the cob and fresh cantelope as well.  I call it a perfect summer dinner.  They took us into their back yard and to their beautiful garden.  She loaded me up with fresh basil and parsley.  I need to get a thank you to them for having us over.   We truly are lucky to have such great friends. 

Another friend gave us a small bag of tomatillos and home made banana bread.  Yikes - we are too spoiled.

One thing I love so much about summer is being able to eat and make things with fresh vegetables from the garden.  Several years ago I subscribed to a the Real Simple magazine which showcased a zucchini pie recipe.  I tried it and it has become a favorite of ours and also a great way to get the little Monkey's in our extended family to eat their vegetables.  Kind of reminiscent of a bisquik impossible pie - but not really.  Salsa is a great topper.  Dinner today will be...Zucchini pie, sliced tomatoes, chicken, and peppers, cucumbers and onions in vinegar.

Here is the link to the original recipe Real Simple Zucchini Pie  Here is what we do...

Zucchini Pie
Ingredients
3 cups grated zucchini (we have done a mixture of crook neck and zucchini that works great too)
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup grated cheese (pepper jack is our favorite)
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil (dry just doesn't cut it)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tsp lemon pepper Mccormick (this has salt, pepper, garlic, lemon etc)
fresh grated nutmeg

Sometimes we add fresh corn, finely chopped peppers, or even meat if you wanted an all in one meal - but you would need to decrease your zucchini amount.   I have made this for brunch as well as lunch and dinner.
1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan.
2.Spoon the zucchini mixture into a 10-inch round glass pie plate or metal pie pan that has been coated with vegetable cooking spray.
3.Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

I have finished another birthday card - not too fancy but kind of fun.  This one will be sent to my sister (she is my half-sister from my Dads first marriage - but I claim her as full)  This line of stamps that I used on the card are way cute - can't wait to get more of them.  The inside of the card reads "OLD will always be at least 10 years older than you are! 

Ta Ta for now
Smiley from millan.net

No comments: