Friday, December 4, 2009

I am a carnivore!

My bookgroup get together is scheduled for tomorrow morning at my home.  There is a member of the group that is a vegan.  My challenge comes when I get to host bookgroup, I try to come up with a refreshment that all can eat.  I love to cook/bake.  But I am a firm believer in butter, eggs and cream.  When I have hosted in the past I always have some kind of fruit, but sometimes I just want a good old piece of cake made with butter and eggs.  Now the member always insists that we don't need to accomodate her, but I don't feel right not including her. 

We are having a brunch breakfast and it is potluck.  We have sign-ups for cinnamon rolls, cranberry orange bread and 2 people are bringing some kind of fruit and the vegan member is bringing oranges and grapefruits to juice.  One person hasn't signed up, but I am sure she will bring something yummy.  I have opted to make sausage rolls. They happen to be a favorite from my British Heritage.  I purchased a roll of vegetable protein sausage flavored stuff so that my vegan bookgroup member can have some.  I can't imagine that you could do anything to that stuff to make it taste good.  The texture was like sticky flour pasty lumpy stuff.  I added worcestershire sauce, season salt and Franks Hot Sauce, in hopes that it will help.  Riley wouldn't even eat it.  I have wrapped it in a a beautiful pastry and will bake it up.  I will report tomorrow on the results.  I also have a bunch of pork sausage rolls made up as well - for those of us that do eat meat.

December is passing quickly - I hope to get a lot of Christmas stuff done this weekend.  Stay ahead of the game if you can I always say!  I have got most of my house cleaned up for tomorrow - so that gives me the rest of the day to work on the Christmas "to do" list.
Smiley from millan.net

Well on the carnivore note - I will share a recipe for crockpot french dip sandwiches.  I love a good sourdough roll dipped into the rich au jus with thick slices of beef roast and sauteed onions.  YUMMO!

Crock Pot French Dip Roast
1 packet Au Jus Mix
1 packet Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix
1 can beef broth
3-4 pound Chuck or rib roast
1 large onion sliced and sauteed with a little oil

Put all ingredients except the onion into the crock pot and cook for 6-7 hours. Cook up your onions, slice meat and serve on a toasted sourdough sandwich roll. Spoon broth mixture into single serving bowls and dip your sandwich into the broth and take a bite!

Well, I have to go finish my book for tomorrow - especially since I am leading the discussion : )
Ta Ta for now.
Free Smiley Courtesy of www.millan.net

No comments: