Sunday, October 3, 2010

Have Faith, Have Hope, Live like His Son...

Help others on their way. ( I know that my Savior Loves Me - 2010 Sharing time program)

I wasn't going to blog today - but after this morning felt the need to share my thoughts.

This morning on TV CBS Sunday Morning - they were interviewing a famous author by the name of Phillip Roth.  He is described as possibly the best American novelist.  He has a very good chance of winning the Nobel Prize for literature this week.  I haven't read any of his books, but I am in no way impressed with the character of this man.  Most of his stories apparently focus on people being miserable because that is when they are most interesting.  He delights in focusing on sex - because sex plays a big part in everybodies lives, imaginations, and fantasies - which makes it worth writing about.  One of the things they asked him about was God and if he believed in Him.  Mr. Roth replied - and I quote..."When the whole world doesn't believe in God, it'll be a great place."   His books sell.  He reminded me of the very adversary himself.

Conference has been such a contrast to this man and what he writes about.  After every talk I found myself saying ...This one is my favorite or that talk was for me.  I know better than to try and single one out - there are always several favorites and several messages given to me as a reminder to do better.  Messages of hope, faith and gratitude have permeated our home with the spirit - which we delight in.  We have been given a renewed desire to keep our home a place where the spirit can reside always and to TRUST in Him who has given us so much.  I wondered as President Eyring talked about Peter as he was beckoned by Christ to come to him when they were out in the middle of the water.  Would I have the faith to take the first step...the second?

On a more temporal note - I have all the little baskets made for my Mother's RS dinner - I only had to make 25 - not 35 as previously posted.  I will get those in the mail asap. 

Ralph has canned chow chow (a new recipe for us from Emeril) as well as homeade catsup.  We also have beets to pickle but that project probably won't get done until tomorrow.  It appears, based on the weather forecast that the tomatoes picked this weekend with be the last big picking.  We have been blessed as so many others have with a long summer so that we can harvest what we have sown in the garden.

I made cookies yesterday to take to a couple of sisters I visit teach.  As much as I am anti - cake mix, I used one.  I tasted one of these cookies - had too!  They were very tasty and very rich, but a keeper none the less.  And yes I gave the rest away!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies (not my picture - but mine looked exactly the same)
  • FOR THE COOKIE:
  • 2 whole Large Eggs
  • ½ cups Vegetable Oil
  • ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix, 18.25 Oz
  • _____
  • FOR THE FROSTING:
  • 4 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, softened
  • ¾ cups Smooth Peanut Butter
  • 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 2-½ cups Powdered Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons Milk
For the cookies:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly whisk eggs and oil in a medium bowl. Mix in flour and cake mix until well blended. Roll into 1 inch balls and bake for 8-10 minutes on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cool completely on a wire rack.
For the frosting:
In a medium bowl cream together cream cheese, peanut butter and vanilla. Add in powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add in milk a little at a time until you get the desired consistency.
Spread about 2 Tablespoons (I used the same small size scoop as I did for the cookies) of frosting onto the bottom of one cookie and then place another cookie on top, bottom sides facing in. Repeat with remaining cookies and frosting.

Well I am off to finish my Stamp a stack projects as well as find a few fall decorations that seemed to have been misplaced when we moved. 

Ta Ta for now
Photobucket

1 comment:

Wendy Weixler said...

Isn't Conference the best??? Maybe we should send a link to Phillip Roth ...

Those cookies, on the other hand, ARE evil!!! (I want one ... or TWO!!)