Sunday, October 17, 2010

Being in Charge

Is definitely not what it is cracked up to be.  All my nursery leaders called in sick today, I have a part member family baptism to plan, a chorister and nursery leader yet to "find", a quarterly activity to plan, leadership meeting to attend, scounting to deal with...  Why can't I ever just show up to church and attend my three meetings and go home on time.  I am trying to find the "fun" in this job. I do like the ladies I work with and starting to develop friendships with many of them.  I know it just takes time.

Ralph and I have had a relatively quiet evening - despite my church work load.  We spent the evening watching movies -  Karate Kid (the new one).  I loved it.  We also watched How to Train Your Dragon again and loved it even more the second time.  We had leftover soup and cornbread, from yesterday, for dinner accompanied by a nice green salad and fresh garden tomatoes.  Gotta enoy the tomatoes while we can. I love quiet Sunday evenings spent with Ralph and Riley.  Riley has been an absolute slug/cuddle bug the last two days.  I like it.  Sunday afternoons/evenings like this make Monday's a little bit more palateable.

I found a new foodblog.  Mel's Kitchen Cafe Shame on you if you already knew about it and didn't share!  She has a section called best recipes - which is totally up my alley.  You go searching for that best recipe looking through hundreds trying to find the one that will be perfect.  I knew after seeing the recipe I use for white chicken chili on her "best" list that this was going to be a spot I frequented.  I mean really - she has already done the "seach" work.  I tried the cornbread recipe and it was a total keeper.  Here it is - not to sweet, doesn't fall apart, good corn taste and moist.  FYI - I accidentally left out the butter when I made mine.  Ralph has asked that I leave it out always - he liked it just the way it turned out.  You can choose.  I am sure it will be good both ways.

Cornbread
½ cup cornmeal
1½ cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1¼ cup milk

Mix dry ingredients - set aside, Mix remaining ingredients (the wet) make a well in the dry ingredients and pour into the center.  Stir until just mixed (batter will be runny - don't be alarmed!).  Bake in an 8” square pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. This doubles perfectly for a 9X13-inch pan.
Give the recipe a try I know you will love it.

Ta Ta for now
Photobucket

1 comment:

Wendy Weixler said...

OH NO!! Another place to look at food I CAN'T eat (or at least SHOULDN'T!!). I have been wanting to see that Karate Kid movie as well ... now I have TWO on my list! :) (Sorry about the hectic day with your calling ...)