Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner and the aftermath

Millan.netWhat a great day we had. Took it easy in the morning, dinner was oh so yummy. I ate way too much. The dessert was very tasty. I think that cranberry raisin pie will be going into the Ralph Curtis repertoire of recipes. I even had some for breakfast this morning. Can't go wrong with fruit pies for breakfast and a big glass of milk.  It was fun to spend time with family.  We don't get together often enough.  Everybody is too busy.  (I will leave that topic for another blog entry.)  We played a round of 5 crowns and watched a little bit of football.  I was hoping to watch a little of the Texas vs Texas A&M game, but I didn't have control of the remote.  Oh well.  We had a good time anyway.

Well, I guess you can say the Christmas season has officially started.  I haven't actually played any Christmas music on the stereo, but I do have three loaves of German Stollen on the stove raising.  Nothing says Christmas to me more than this bread.  Mom has always made it, since I can remember and it has become a staple in my home.  A nice soft bread with raisins, currents almonds and other goodies. 
The Thanksgiving decorations are down - my hope is by the end of the week (that would be tomorrow) most of the decorations for Christmas will be up.  We will going to visit my mother for the holidays, so Ralph and I have been debating on whether to spend the money for a tree.  The jury is still out, no decisions yet.   I have been working on Christmas cards today.  The main image should be finished by the end of today.  I should have the rest put together by Sunday evening.  Hopefully get them in the mail next week.  I haven't been able to get that job done on time for several years, so it is good to be ahead of the game.

Well, off to do more "stuff"  I will leave you with the recipe
Cranberry Raisin Pie
Pie pastry for a double crust - 9-inch
2 1/2 Cups fresh cranberries (1 12 oz bag worked)
1 1/2 C golden raisins
1 apple peeled, cored and diced
3/4 C sugar
1 tsp maple emulsion or 1/2 C sugar and 1/4 C pure maple syrup
1 tbls orange zest
juice of one orange
1 tsp brandy extract
3 tbls flour
1 tsp salt

Pour filling into 9-in rolled out pie crust - dot with butter.  Place pie pastry on top.  Seal and brush with cream, sprinkle with sugar.  Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes.

Ta Ta for now.
Smiley from millan.net

No comments: