Saturday, December 12, 2009

Over the worst

Well...I am feeling a little bit better.  I am not nauseous anymore, but food does not sound good.  Well a good old corn dog sounds really good, but my tummy says no.

So I had to give up concert tickets to the Friday evening Tabernacle Choir Christmas Concert because of my tummy bug.  I was so disappointed.  A friend of mine has decided not to go and gave me her tickets for tomorrow morning.  I am going - no matter what.  I love their concerts.  I also missed our ward Christmas party.  I helped Ralph make two quiches to take for the meal.  They had a morning brunch and service project set up.  December is not the time to get sick.  At least I don't have the respiratory problems that sometimes come with the gomboo.

I am stir crazy.  Not enough energy to get up and do much, but tired of the four walls of my house.  I have tried to stay away from the TV - too much makes my brain mushy.  I listened to Christmas music and finished all my Christmas cards.  They are now written, addressed, and ready for the mail.  Took me long enough, but I got them done.  I just have Mars neighbor gifts to finish and then I am done.  (If I can stay away from the paper crafts)  I did watch a couple of programs today.  I watched To Kill a Mockingbird - In my opinion one of the best books ever written and the Polar Express - twice.  I love the music from the movie and the whole message included in the film.  I think everyone should believe in the spirit of Christmas.

A couple of friends dropped by with some treats.  Chocolate bark (white and dark) with roasted pecans and sea salt.  Really yummy.  We also got a bowl of clam dip and crackers.  Haven't tried it yet, but I am sure it will be good.  If not, Ralph will know how to fix it to make it taste good.  I love having great friends.  We are spoiled!

Well - I am going to sign off and try to occupy my brain with something else. 

Recipe for today.
This recipe actually belongs to Pioneer Woman  but oh so delicious!

Pioneer Woman's Quiche 
¾ pounds Thick Cut, Peppered Bacon
1/2  stick Butter
1 whole Large (or 2 Medium) Onions, Very Thinly Sliced
2 box(es) (5 Oz. Each) White Mushrooms, Washed And Sliced
1 can (14 Oz.) Quartered Artichoke Hearts
1 whole Pie Crust,
7 whole Eggs
1-½ cup Heavy Cream
2 cups Grated Swiss Cheese
Salt And Pepper (to Taste)
Optional: Fresh Parsley, Fresh Chives
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Crumble and set aside. Pour out excess grease but don’t clean the pan.
Melt butter in the same skillet. Add onions and cook for a few minutes. Add mushrooms and artichokes and cook for a few more minutes. Salt mixture to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
Roll out pie crust and press into deep dish tart pan. (May also use 2 standard pie crusts for this recipe.) In a large bowl, beat eggs with cream. Add grated cheese, salt and pepper, and set aside. (Add cayenne pepper if you’d like a little kick.)
With a slotted spoon, add mushroom mixture into egg/cream mixture. Stir together. Add bacon and stir. Add parsley or chives, if desired.
Pour into pie crust and press to submerge ingredients. Cover loosely with foil, place on a baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour. Bake for slightly longer if quiche is overly jiggly.
Remove from oven and allow to set for ten minutes before serving. Remove quiche from pan and slice into wedges

Ta Ta for now!
Smiley from millan.net

No comments: