Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A birthday wish come true

Mom reminded my that life begins at 40.  I wish she would have told me that two years ago. 

For several years, like a loving husbund should, Ralph asks me what I would like to do for my birthday.  I tell him a drive up the canyon to Heber or Kamas for a juicy hamburger, a great thick shake and a drive through the Uintahs.  I look forward to the quality time with Him and a good burger and fresh air.  Now to his credit  - some of those years it just wasn't feasible to do that.  But instead of the drive and burger I wished for, he has always invited his family over sometimes for dinner, but always for cake and ice cream and they spoil me with cards and gifts.
   Smiley from millan.net
I enjoy spending time with the family, but when this happens, I don't get to spent time with him because he is prepping for company.  The food and birthday cakes are always to die for yummy.  But it wasn't necessarily how I wanted to spend my birthday. 

This year I made him promise to do it my way, and he did.  I got a ride up the canyon, although I was expecting a more leisurely drive, the route he planned covered a lot of ground, so we didn't make a lot of stops.  The fresh air was great - especially considering SLC was in the red zone for air quality.  The scenery was so pretty.  Mom eventually asked as to close the windows because it got down to low 50's outside which was a bit too cold for her.

We stopped in Oakley at the Road Island Diner for dinner.  It was recommended by a friend, so I thought we would try it out.  The place has an interesting history and good food.  It is one of the original style diners manufactured in the 1930s.  It traveled all the way across the US to find a spot in Oakley UT.  If you get a chance...check it out.  My burger was just ok, but I didn't care because I was hanging with my favorite people away from the hum drum of life.   Mom and Ralph made better menu choices.  Definitely a place we will try again.

On the way back we stopped at Granny's Drive-in  in Heber for a shake.  My favorite is almond joy with fresh raspberries. (almonds, coconut, chocolate and berries)  Creamy, chunky, sweet goodness.

Here is to another year of birthday wishes coming true!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Wendy Weixler said...

What a lovely day!! I have always wanted to go that little diner .... it's sooo cute!! :)